Quick tips from this section:
- Setup powerful encryption for all data that is transmitted.
- Don’t use the default password and username given by the manufacturer.
- Restrict access to customer data to those workers who absolutely want it.
- Make sure that all anti-virus applications is current, as regular security updates happen to battle new kinds of malware.
- If you have some issues with the safety of your POS system, speak to the POS supplier.
It is very likely your company is based on digital point-of-sale (POS) methods for processing financial transactions. Clients have come to expect the ease of POS for immediate debit or charge card transactions, which makes it crucial to your company.
Your POS systems may be an additional means to get your pc, and it’s crucial to safeguard them. Cybercriminals can hack POS systems to steal charge card numbers along with the related personal identification number (PIN), which they could then use to get your clients’ accounts.
There are steps you can take to enhance POS safety to help protect your customers and your company:
- A firewall is a security management, which can be used to limit incoming and outgoing traffic. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can incorporate a firewall using the router or other hardware or software they supply you, but it’s crucial to check. When they don’t provide one, you’ll have to buy one.
- Setup powerful encryption for the transmission of data (e.g., cardholder information ) between your POS system as well as the POS supplier. Consult your POS supplier or a cybersecurity adviser (with POS expertise ) to get assistance if you aren’t certain what to do.
- Don’t use the default username and password to your POS platform (which may have been sent with it). Cybercriminals can use those credentials to access a system. Instead, establish a new username and password that’s unique to your enterprise.
- Consistently limit access to customer data only to those employees that have a need to get it and are licensed to do so.
- Keep anti-virus applications current.